I keep learning more crazy things about Google+, and I feel like I've barely scratched the surface. These are a few of the things I thought other people should know too!
1. You can receive Google+ notifications on your iPhone.
Now, Google+ has an excellent Android app, but nothing for the iPhone yet. If you can't get the app right now, you can still get SMS notifications on your phone.
Here's how to set it up:
Click the "gear" icon at the top right of your screen in Google+ and select "Google+ Settings." Click the "Google+" tab and click "Add phone number" under delivery preferences. Enter your cell number here. Google will send a verification code to your phone. Enter that code in the box that appears on Google+.
Next, scroll down and check what events you want to receive notifications for. (Mentions, photo tags, etc.)
2. You can mute notifications on one of your posts (this is my favorite Facebook feature; glad to see it here!).
If you're getting a lot of activity on a post (read: you're one of the popular kids), it can be irritating to get constant notifications. To mute notifications on a single post, open Notifications, click the annoying notification, and click "mute this post.”
3. You can use free SMS in lieu of texting with Google Voice (if you have a teenage daughter and don't have unlimited texting, this might be a lifesaver for you!). Download the google voice app and you can get your updates on your iphone without having to pay for an unlimited texting plan. To be perfectly honest, I haven't tried this yet. The hubs and I have unlimited texting, but my coworker Brian SWEARS this is true.
4. You can add more information to your pop-up window.
If you hover over your avatar, you're simply a thumbnail with a few words of description, likely your company name, profession or location. Booooooring!
Why don't you show people how fantastic you really are? Go to edit your profile, select the employment section, and in the first "Employer name" box, write what you want people to see (your bio, a short poem, whatever) and check the "current" box. Whatever you have written should now appear when people hover over your avatar.
5. You can add special photo effects.
Click on one of your photos to bring up the dark background view. Click the "Enhance" menu at the top right of your photo, then click “Customize” in the dropdown menu. Not only are there options such as "Auto Enhance" and "Tune Image," “Retrolux” and “HDR scape” are also available. So, you know, turn your pictures black and white or all old-timey!
What's your favorite Google+ hack?